Skip to content
Curtin University
Risk & Assurance

Travel Booking Process

Staff Travel

For information on how to arrange Staff Travel see the information located on the Curtin Travel Website:

Student Travel

For information on how to arrange Student Travel see the information located on the Curtin Travel Website:

Travel Facilitators

To assist you through the travel approval and booking process and to ensure your travel is recorded within the Curtin Travel Tracker System, the University has appointed a network of Travel Facilitators in most faculties and departments.

A list of the current Travel Facilitators can be found at the following website:

Curtin Travel Tracker

Risk Management utilise the Travel Tracker System offered by our Emergency Travel Assistance Company (International SOS) to assist the University in locating our travellers in times of crisis domestically or overseas.

Every individual traveller has a responsibility to minimise their risks when travelling. This includes researching the destination and ensuring that they are aware of local laws that may be relevant to them.

To help you avoid difficulties, we recommend that you review travel advice for overseas destinations, prior to booking your travel. Reviewing this advice about the risks you might face overseas, assists you to make well-informed decisions about whether, when and where to travel. In addition to the Smartraveller advisories you will also have access to comprehensive advice from International SOS.

Travel Requirements for DFAT 3 and 4 Category Countries

For DFAT Category 3 ‘Reconsider your Need to Travel’ destinations, a written risk assessment must be completed and submitted to your Head of School and Pro Vice Chancellor/DVC, for consideration and authorisation. If you do not have this authorisation, do not start travel as you will be uninsured, and travelling in contravention of the University Travel Procedures. Staff/Students can complete the Risk Assessment within their TOP request, and for Countries which have multiple ratings, which don't trigger the Risk Assessment form within TOP, the template form can be accessed under the Insurance Forms tab for completion and upload to your TOP request.

For DFAT Category 4 ‘Do not Travel’ destinations, you must consult with Risk & Assurance to complete a written risk assessment and endorsed business case, detailing the requirements and benefits of the travel. The risk assessment and business case must then be submitted to the Head of School, Pro Vice Chancellor and Provost/Vice Chancellor for authorisation before a travel booking is made. If you do not undertake these consultations, do not start travel as you will be uninsured.

Fieldwork Risk Assessment 

If your travel involves Fieldwork as defined in the Fieldwork Policy and Procedures, you are also required to complete a Fieldwork Online Risk Assessment and Approval Application. Please contact your Faculty Partnership Coordinator, Fieldwork Supervisor, Unit Coordinator or see the Fieldwork Preparation website for assistance. Health and Safety can also assist with advice around completion of your Risk Assessment.

Travel Health Issues

Please contact the Curtin Health Service in Building 109 (Phone: 9266 7345) prior to departure for any current health requirements. Specific issues include inoculation and health precautions in certain regions, and medical conditions, such as the danger of deep vein thrombosis on long duration flights.